On the night of January 31 to February 1, Brexit took place. As a result, the visa-free regime with Ukraine was canceled, since it applies only to EU citizens. Meanwhile, to provide the so-called “transitional period” measures were taken. On January 29, 2020, the President of Ukraine signed a decree that temporarily provides a visa-free regime for citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland for one year.
Until January 31, 2021, no changes are expected. UK citizens can still stay in Ukraine 90 days within 180 days without a visa. However, to apply for a temporary/permanent residence permit in Ukraine, they must obtain a type D visa.
To apply for such a visa, the legislation provides a general list of documents:
- a passport document that must conform to the following requirements:
be valid for at least three months after the declared date of departure from the territory of Ukraine;
contain at least two free pages;
be valid no more than 10 years;
- filled in and signed visa application;
(the application can be filled in on the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine);
- one color photo measuring 35 x 45 millimeters;
- a valid medical insurance policy with the coverage of at least 30,000 EUR or equivalent in another currency;
- documents confirming the availability of sufficient financial security for the period of the planned stay and return to the state of origin;
- a document confirming the payment of the consular fee, unless otherwise provided by law and international agreements of Ukraine
(the fee is paid on the spot when applying for a visa)
Important! In addition to the general list, to confirm the existence of a ground for a long-term visa, one of the documents provided for by the legislation is additionally submitted.
The grounds for applying for a long-term visa affect the size of the consular fee. So, today, UK citizens who would like to obtain a type D visa on the ground of study pay a consular fee of $ 458; employment – $ 802; family reunion and immigration – $ 2002.
The total visa application period is 10 business days. In case when it is necessary to apply for a visa urgently (within 5 business days), you must pay the consular fee in double size. Therefore, in the case of obtaining an urgent visa, UK citizens who plan to immigrate to Ukraine or obtain a residence permit on the ground of family reunion must pay a consular fee of $ 4,004.