Foreigners whose stay in Ukraine is legal are entitled to receive medical assistance in Ukraine. Depending on the foreigner`s status, such assistance will be provided on a free or paid basis. Anyway, foreigners can freely turn to state and municipal hospitals or commercial medical clinics. On practice, foreigners prefer to receive medical services in commercial hospitals and address to state or municipal hospitals just in case of extreme necessity.
Foreigners who temporarily reside or stay on the territory of Ukraine
Foreigners who temporarily reside or stay on the territory of Ukraine receive medical assistance, including emergency medical assistance, on a paid basis unless otherwise specified by international agreements or laws of Ukraine. The cost of medical care provided to a foreigner is determined by the health care institution that provided it in accordance with the procedure established by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine.
Moreover, they must have a medical insurance policy in order to receive medical assistance. If foreigner needs to seek doctor`s advice or medical assistance, s/he can turn to the insurance company and healthcare institution with which relevant contracts have been signed by the insurance company. In this case, providing medical assistance and medicines are covered by the insurance company. If the cost of medical care provided to a foreigner exceeds the insurance coverage stipulated in the insurance contract, the foreigner pays the difference to the healthcare institution that provided medical care.
In case a foreigner is seeking emergency medical assistance, s/he is transported by the relevant medical emergency team to one of the hospitals. Providing medical assistance and medicines connected with the emergency medical assistance is covered by the state budget under the Medical services state insurances program. At the same time, a foreigner who temporarily resides or stays in the territory of Ukraine is obliged to compensate for the whole cost of medical treatment to the state.
In case of a foreigner`s refusal to pay for treatment, the issue of compensation is resolved via the officials of the embassy/consulate of the state whose citizen the patient is.
Foreigners who permanently reside in Ukraine
Foreigners who permanently reside in Ukraine have the same health care rights as Ukrainians. They may receive medical assistance on a free basis, including emergency medical assistance unless otherwise specified by international agreements or laws of Ukraine. Expenses are covered from the budgetary funds.
The state covers a basic package of primary care services and medical tests. In order to be provided with primary health care services free of charge, a foreigner has to choose a family physician and sign the Patient Declaration Form. The foreigner should provide a permanent residence permit and certificate of residence address registration in Ukraine in order to be registered with a certain family physician.
Foreigners who permanently reside in Ukraine also may sign an insurance contract or turn to commercial medical clinics directly. However, in this case, the foreigner will have to cover the cost of all medical services and medication costs individually, or the insurance company will cover the cost of all medical services according to a signed insurance contract.
Providing medical assistance to foreigners in cases of COVID-19 symptoms
The Ministry of Health of Ukraine gave recommendations concerning providing medical assistance to foreigners in cases of COVID-19 symptoms.
- If a foreigner develops symptoms of COVID-19, s/he can turn to the insurance company and healthcare institution with which relevant contracts have been signed by the insurance company.
- If a foreigner is suspected of having the infectious disease COVID-19, s/he is sent to one of the infectious diseases hospitals in order to test for COVID-19.
- If a foreigner is seeking emergency medical assistance related to the infectious disease COVID-19, the patient is transported by the special medical emergency team to one of the designated infectious diseases hospitals in order to test for COVID-19.
- During the testing for COVID-19, a foreigner must stay in hospital and can stay in isolation and under observation. If the testing for COVID-19 is positive, a foreigner can stay in hospital and receive medical care. In case of a foreigner`s refusal of hospitalization and treatment, s/he must remain in quarantine (self-isolation) until full recovery. A foreigner also must regularly inform about state of health directly to the contact person of the hospital, or via the officials of the embassy/consulate of the state whose citizen the patient is.
- Moreover, the epidemiological investigation into the COVID-19 case must be carried out in order to collect foreigner`s medical history and find out his/her contacts. The questioning of people the foreigner was in contact with is carried out through the embassy/consulate officials of the state whose citizen the patient and the contact people are.
- Emergency medical assistance – 103
- General phone number in order to reach emergency services (ambulance, fire and rescue, police) – 112
- Ministry of Health of Ukraine hotline – 0 800 505 201
- Information service of the National Health Service of Ukraine – 1677
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine hotline – 044 238-18-88, 044 238 16 57
- Government Contact Center – 1545
- Hotline on COVID-19 – 0 800 50 558 40, 0 800 505 201
- Hotline on COVID-19 (Lviv region) – 1580
- Information and answers to basic questions about COVID-19 – www.covid19.com.ua